The former city hall was situated at Pratu Chai Sub-District, Krung Kao District (Phra Nakhon Si Ayutthaya District at present). It was the three-story building in T-shape constructed in 1941 when Luang Borihan Chonnabot (San) was the provincial commissioner with the support from Pridi Banomyong, the Minister of Finance at that time. In front of the city hall, there were six statues of heroes and heroines, who had made great contribution to Ayutthaya and the nation in the past. The statues are:
1. Statue of King Ramathibodi I (Prince U-Thong) who was the king who established
Ayutthaya as the capital city in 1350, holding the conch shell in the left hand.
2. Statue of King Borommatrailokkanat who was the expert in administration, holding
code of Law in both hands..
3. Statue of Queen Suriyothai, the heroine who was on the battle field in 1548 and
sacrificed her life for her husband, Phra Maha Chakkraphat.
4. Statue of King Naresuan (1490-1605), holding guandao in the right hand and hat on
the left hand. He retrieved independence from Myanmar and engaged in seven combats with the enemy.
5. Statue of King Narai (1656-1688), holding the royal letter in both hands. He built
the relationship with foreign countries such as France during the period of Louis XIV de France, spread out the western culture during the reign of Chao Phraya Wichayen. Trade was very prosperous during his reign.
6. Statue of King Taksin (1656-1792), holding sword in both hands. He retrieved
Independence from the last loss in 1767 and relocated the capital city to Thonburi.
The Old Phra Nakhon Si Ayutthaya City Hall
The formal city hall was used for governmental operation and service public until it deteriorated and was unable to maintain, as well as unable to support the growth of the provincial administration. Further, the former city hall was situated in the area of Ayutthaya Historical Park, which was admired by the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization or UNESCO as the World Heritage, and Fine Arts Department had a plan to reconstruct the city hall building and other places to be the historical center and tourist attraction of the province. Therefore, it was relocated to the outside of historical park area.
Afterwards, Mr. Jaturong Danchaiviroj, Mrs. Kwanluck Danchaiviroj, Mr. Worapoj Danchaivijit, and Mrs. Sompit Danchaivijit granted the land, 70 rai and one square wah that cost 70, 004, 951.60 baht, on the Asian Highway M. 3 Klong Suan Phlu, Phra Nakhon Si Ayutthaya District to the government for
1. Construct government center – 53 rai, 2 Ngan, and 16 square wah
2. Provincial Administrative Organization to construct public roads for 16 rai, 1 Ngan, and 25 square wah
There was the ceremony of title deed on Wednesday 22 August 1990 at Ministry of Interior. Mr. Banharn Silpa-archa was the guest of honor. Thus, Phra Nakhon Si Ayutthaya Province proposed the City Hall construction project to Ministry of Interior for the approval of Master Plan of Regional Government Center Commission, Ministry of Interior. The Commission approved the construction project, which divided into three phases:
Phase 1 (during fiscal year 1993-1995) - Construct Phra Nakhon Si Ayutthaya City Hall and public utility
Phase 2 (during fiscal year 1994-1995) - Construct Community Hall
Phase 3 (during fiscal year 1995-1996) - Construct two 10-story high rise buildings to support government sections
In 1992, Ministry of Interior allocated budget 6, 000, 000 baht for land reclamation at the construction area for 10 rai. In 1993, allocated budget 5, 900, 000 baht for city hall and public utility construction by committed to the budget of 1994 for 52, 100, 000 baht and of 1995 for 61, 700, 000 baht. Moreover, Ministry of Interior allowed the province to organize the bidding. Samcon Company Limited was the contractor in the budget of 119, 000, 000 baht and scheduled for completion at 675 days. The contract signed on 15 March 1994, completion date set as 18 January 1996. The construction was the 4-stories Thai style building with utility space for 9, 196 square meter.
Phra Nakhon Si Ayutthaya Province held the foundation stone laying ceremony on Monday 8 August 1994, at 1.01 pm. General Chavalit Yongchaiyudh, the Minister of Interior was the guest of honor at the construction site. Worship ceremony to the former city hall was held on 25 January 1996 at 8.00 am. and the religious ceremony and worship the new city hall was held at 10.00 am. The new city hall has operated since 29 January 1996.
Download more detail